In these regular posts, we’ll walk you through “How-To’s” for equipment that we service, and questions that we are regularly asked from you, our customers.
We’ve talked many times in the past about how it is highly recommended to perform annual inspections of your commercial intrusion alarm monitoring system. These inspections have been proven to reduce false alarms, reduce service calls and lengthen the useable system life of your commercial intrusion alarm monitoring system. However, technicians are not able to be in your business or commercial space on a a regular basis. In fact, we do not think you want us there very often!
With this in mind, it is important to for the commercial intrusion alarm system owner to perform regular checks of their security system to ensure its proper function. This ensures that issues can be addressed immediately, and in some cases in a pro-active manner. This results in fewer headaches with the system, and fewer false alarms and false dispatches of police from your commercial intrusion alarm monitoring system. All of these lead to lowered costs of ownership for your system.
One of the simplest ways to ensure the continued proper operation of your commercial intrusion alarm monitoring system is to perform a weekly walk test of the system. This means arming the system in such a way so that it does not ring any sirens on site, but properly tests each zone on the system for its proper operation. Performing these weekly tests ensures the continued proper operation of the commercial intrusion alarm monitoring system, and greater satisfaction of the system ownership.
How to perform a Weekly Walk Test of Your DSC Power Series Intrusion Alarm Monitoring System
Here are step-by-step instructions on how to perform a weekly walk test of your commercial intrusion alarm monitoring system, if you have a DSC Power Series Security Alarm Monitoring Panel or DSC Power Series Neo Security Alarm Monitoring System, and how to silence that beep:
- CALL YOUR MONITORING STATION PRIOR TO BEGINNING THESE TESTS TO LET THEM KNOW YOU WILL BE PERFORMING A TEST.
- Press * then 6
- Enter Your Master Code
- Press 4
- All keypad lights will activate, as will the keypad sounder and siren. This will happen for two seconds
- For the duration of the test, the Ready, Armed and Trouble lights will flash
- Walk through your system and activate every device on the system. This could mean opening doors and windows and walking in front of motion sensors.
- Zones will Show Opened and Closed on the Keypad. A second person can assist to check the zones as they open and close on the system
- CALL YOUR MONITORING STATION BACK WHEN YOU’RE DONE
Once completed, you can report any issues to your monitoring provider, and then can begin to work towards getting those issues resolved through a service call or perhaps other means.
We hope this helps, and helps you enhance the life and usefulness of your DSC Power Series intrusion alarm monitoring system. Please contact us if you have any issues performing this test or have any other questions
This tip is applicable for the following alarm panels: